1st time builder fret questions

Wood type -- slotting -- contouring -- fret installation
Brad Hall

1st time builder fret questions

Post by Brad Hall » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:15 pm

I've looked at the procedures for leveling, crowning, and polishing the frets. I've also read the attachment procedures for the fret board to neck glue up. It would seem if that if the neck and fretboard were planed flat and true, and clamped to a sturdy flat caul, the fret wire would be very uniform in height when installed. Is fret leveling always necessary? Is this a step larger production builders do every time? Is it the radius and taper that determines the initial uniformity (or lack of) that fret leveling addresses? I appreciate the expertise and education this site affords.

ken cierp

Re: 1st time builder fret questions

Post by ken cierp » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:31 pm

Yes if you could accomplish all those elements "perfectly" (especially seating each fret with zero dents) there would be a chance. Keep in mind you are actually working to .000" tolerances to get the action correct at all 20 frets. Kissing the top of the frets with an abrasive straight edge, getting the entire board unified takes a tiny bit of time -- dressing and polishing each fret is a professional touch that many of us take pride in accomplishing.

Brad Hall

Post by Brad Hall » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks Ken. I do expect to spend a lot of time on fret work. I'm conscious of the skill as well as the art involved. I will be working with minimal and improvised tools and jigs. I hope to do an acceptable job and look forward to developing the skill. A good fret job always seems like a builders seal of quality.
Magnifying goggles are on my short list.

John J

Post by John J » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:22 am

It's not nearly as daunting as is seems. Get through the first one and you understand why the steps are done and the actual process gets easier. I've got a couple of pairs of high magnifying "reading" glasses that are indispensable.
JJ
Learning every day. And having fun doing it.

Harold in Tn

Post by Harold in Tn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:29 pm

In order to level new frets, the fretboard needs to be nice and straight, right? If there is a back bow and the truss rod (single action rod) is loose, how do I straighten the neck/fretboard to level the frets?

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Sounds like humidity again ---

Pictures with a straight edge on the finger-board required for assessment. Has the neck ever been subjected to string tension?

Harold in Tn

Post by Harold in Tn » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:36 am

Neck has not been subjected to humidity. I have been pretty conscientious of that. Has not been strung up yet.