Cutting the sound hole

Wood choice logic, brace shapes, braces patterns -- what and why for the "heart of the guitar"
Ray Ussery

Cutting the sound hole

Post by Ray Ussery » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:40 am

would someone please give me some idea of the best way to go about this ? I assume...(There's that word again) that the channels for the Rosette should be done first? Now I am worried...I really don't want to screw this top up!
Thanks,
Ray

Herman

Re: Cutting the sound hole

Post by Herman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:10 am

Hey Ray,

You need a device that follows a circle around a centerhole.
To make all more visable for yourself, you can use a drawing compass before cutting. So you can see the layout of your rosette and soundhole.
I use the Stewmac jig, a dremeltool and a downcutbit. First you rout the rosette in what order you like. The soundhole is cut out last ('cause you loose the centerpoint with that). The latter I do that halfway from one side and the other half from the other side. That way you don't cut into the workboard.

Here's the idea:

Ray Ussery

Re: Cutting the sound hole

Post by Ray Ussery » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Ok...thanks Herman...I know it seems simple if you've done it before.. but? Now with your help and the pic I got it...I have all the tools necessary, just didn't really understand how to use them in this situation, thanks Sooo much again for your help!!!