A thought experiment

Wood choice logic, brace shapes, braces patterns -- what and why for the "heart of the guitar"
Daniel P

Re: A thought experiment

Post by Daniel P » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Steve Grimes has a double sound hole design that might be trying to achieve some of same the acoustic effects. I've not had luck finding images of his bracing pattern though.

http://www.grimesguitars.com/dbl-holes.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... XZd_E8Jxsg

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 pm

With regard to the upper transverse brace I am assuming the CF rods are taking the load. Now find away to get that massive 1/4 inch by 2.x" hardwood brace elevated off the center of the upper bout and the whole top could vibrate.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:50 pm

Too much power, too much power!! It will frighten me, John, to have a completely lively soundboard. I've never gone that far with a soundboard before...
If you meant that massive little red spot in the upper bout, okay, I won't fight you on it. :-)

Daniel, thanks, that is definitely worth a look!
-Under permanent construction

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Dave Bagwill wrote:Too much power, too much power!! It will frighten me, John, to have a completely lively soundboard. I've never gone that far with a soundboard before...
If you meant that massive little red spot in the upper bout, okay, I won't fight you on it. :-)

Daniel, thanks, that is definitely worth a look!
At the GAL I saw a steel string guitars using CF rods for the string load, very light CF reinforced bracing, elevated fret board and small sound sound holes in the edges of the upper bout combined with a side sound port. The guitar sounded good. It was loud with good presence.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:18 pm

The little holes are something I've been toying with. Mixed feelings about CF other than the rods, though I will be using some in the bridge I'll be making and perhaps the bridge patch as well.
-Under permanent construction

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Pinless bridge? If not, be careful you don't drill right thru the x braces.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:29 pm

I think you could get 90% there without the CF on the braces. Spruce is really good for braces. The CF laminated in the bridge and patch is a good idea, I thinned my CF reinforced patch to 1 mm normally on a SS I am at 2 mm and was able to use walnut for the bridge. Very light and still stiff with the CF.