Neck angle no. 2 guitar

Dove Tail -- Mortise and Tenon -- the right choice and how to get it to fit
Tim Benware

Re: Neck angle no. 2 guitar

Post by Tim Benware » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:44 pm

I could be wrong, it's hard to see the gap in the pic, but that looks fine to me. I don't mind a slight drop off on the extension of the FB although I prefer to sand it into the frets.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:25 am

I am with Tim I would consider gluing the fret board extension down to close the gap. I like Ken's suggestion of a shim, especially if you need to increase the angle anymore. Also I never trust a board as a straight edge; especially a board that is clamped in one place. Do you have a straight edge that you can use to check the angle. When I look at the picture it looks like there could be a mis-match in the angle between the top and the neck. I see a bow in your straight edge. It may only be the picture but the top looks close to being the correct angle where as the neck has too little angle.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:05 am

Usually the fret wires wedge in the slots and cause the fingerboard to bow. So the guys are correct that may take care of the space. But I have never force bent and glued the extension down, I guess that works. My more contemporary builds do not incorporate FB extension gluing, I like to be able to remove the neck as easy as possible. I have prototypes and family owned instruments to examine that have a zero failure rate over 15 years or so with this design feature/ methodology. And the idea that they buzz is a bunch of hooey.

Paul C

Post by Paul C » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks guys for all the help and encouragement I am moving forward slowly and learning quite a bit on this one will post some pics on progress. I seem to go into temporary craziness on that neck angle part but it's so critical to get it right !. Hopefully it gets easier!