Type of neck wood in this pic?

Dove Tail -- Mortise and Tenon -- the right choice and how to get it to fit
John Parchem

Re: Type of neck wood in this pic?

Post by John Parchem » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Dave Bagwill wrote:It is a dovetail, Kevin. I don't know how he got such a good fit without dishing the cheeks, then again I've not worked with a dovetail before - maybe it makes a difference?
Why do you think the cheeks were not dished? I see no reason why that heel could not be a bolt on mortise and tenon or a dove tail. In either case the area around the tenon can be relieved. Once the neck angle and center is correct some careful cheek flossing, it is possible to get a good fit like shown in the picture.

I have done a few dovetail neck sets. I do it a little different than what I have seen. I start with a loose dovetail where the neck drop all the way into the mortise. Then I set the neck just like a bolt on. Once the neck is set, I glue shims on the dove tail tenon and work to set the joint itself. I found it hard to set the neck angle properly when the neck could not go in all the way. To many things going on at once for me. While doing a neck reset, where I always need shims after changing the neck angle, I realized how easy it was to set the neck with the joint loose. It dawn on me that I could do the same during the guitars construction.

Basically my point is with regards to the heel cheeks mortise and tenon bolt on and a dovetail are the same.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 pm

So you could do your m/t and not use a heel cap? Do you?
-Under permanent construction

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:49 pm

I now stay away from the "joint from hell" but I dished (shaved relief) in those too. Somewhere I saw a video of my preferred dishing method using a Dremel, pretty easy. Sharp chisel works great as well.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Does the dishing not involve the end of the heel as well? That is why I use the heel cap, and just assumed that's why everyone did, but I should not 'assume', I know. :-)

I don't do dovetails either.
Attachments
cheeks.jpg
cheeks.jpg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 834 times

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:55 pm

Dave I've built many MT jointed guitars without heel caps -- just keep the scoop away from the perimeter a bit, or maybe I'm missing the point or something?

Perhaps I should add a line to delineate the perimeter at the heel , but that's what it amounts to.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:57 pm

I guess I'll just have to think about it.

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:09 pm

I figured the heel cap was to protect the softer wood of the neck? Sort of like binding?