neck block grain orientation

Solid or Laminated sides? Ribbon lining style (kerfing) - rim profiling, contouring and the logic for those choices
tim crain 54

neck block grain orientation

Post by tim crain 54 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:20 pm

I am just getting my second build underway. The side bending went much better than the first build so I seem to be making some progress. My question is in reference to the grain direction of the neck block. I have 2 different methods in the books that I own, one saying to make sure the grain runs parallel with the grain of the rims, the other stating that the grain of the block should be perpendicular to the rim grain. Any thoughts pro or con?? I am doing another J185 since I all ready have the mold and templates and am using the plans drawn by Scott Antes which is what worked from on the first one. I had read on another forum that some felt that the bracing on the Antes plans is too heavy. I followed the plans to the letter on my last build and was very satisfied with the results but would like to hear some views of the more experienced builders on this subject. I am excited to have my next one underway and am glad that I have a much better understanding of what I am doing this time thanks to the learning on the first and from all the education I received here. I'll keep you all posted as the build progresses. Thanks for any input, Tim

Dave Bagwill

Re: neck block grain orientation

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Hi Tim - glad to hear that the bending went better this time!
As to headblock grain - normally the grain runs parallel to the grain on the sides, because if the HB grain is perpendicular, then you're gluing to endgrain, which does not provide as good a glue surface.
Me and a number of others here recommend a laminated block - two parallel layers sandwiching a perpendicular layer. Lots of strength, plenty of glue surface, and easy enough to do.

I've heard the same thing about the Antes plan. It does appear to be overbuilt BUT if the sound is what you find pleasing, you might want to stick with it. Generally, taller and thinner braces provide better strength to weight ratio, and being lighter, in theory allow the soundboard to be more responsive. More responsive=more sound? That's the theory most guys including me are basing our bracing on.
Some others will weigh in on this, and maybe with other perspectives, so take what I've said as $.02. :-)
-Under permanent construction

tim crain 54

Post by tim crain 54 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:53 pm

My first build I did the grain parallel with the grain on the sides, it hasn't fallen apart yet. The laminated block is a nice idea, the best of both worlds. Thanks for the advice and the opinion on the bracing, Tim

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:36 pm

On the baritone Uke I'm building. I turned the block so the grain runs same as the sides. I did glue a 1/4" piece of plywood to the back of the block. Realize this to be a very wize move. Adds hardly any weight to the body. Seems very good thing to do.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:41 am

Our neck blocks are two piece laminated with the grain running horizontally.

Herman

Post by Herman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:56 am

The guitars I made all have a dovetail joint. The forces inside the joint want to tear the block apart inside out. and want to split the block in the middle from top to back. Wood splits easier along the grain than across the grain.Therefore IMO a horizontal graindirection is better for a neckblock than otherwise.
Just my view, and 2ct.
BTW: I never seen any neckblock split. Did someone?
Herman

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:22 am

Scott's Martin styles are indeed over built -- the J185 is pretty close to actual Gibson bracing.