Fret barber

Wood type -- slotting -- contouring -- fret installation
Dave Bagwill

Fret barber

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:14 pm

Have any of you used this tool? I watched a Michael Collins dvd last night and he made a good case for using it.
Here's Dan Erlewine ad for the thing:
http://youtu.be/kndwSi6ediA

Is there a DIY type project that would accomplish the same thing?

I know - this is not a necessary step to take. But I am interested in it.
-Under permanent construction

Tim Benware

Re: Fret barber

Post by Tim Benware » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:53 pm

I use Jescar FW37080 fret wire with widths from .0185 to .0245, to handle different widths but if you don't buy in bulk I could see good reason to have that tool.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 am

I can see where that tool would be handy for restoration work -- does seem it would be easy to copy, break a file in half, grind a radius. Clamp together with appropriate shim stock in between.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:45 am

Collins and others use the tool for the original fret job, not for restoration though I can certainly see its usefulness for that.
What kind of file would be best for this if I was wanting to try a diy?

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:43 am

I have one but I do not use it very much. I have used it for the very last fret a few times. I do use the shims that cane with it a bunch. It has short pieces of a mill file in it.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:09 am

In theory the tool sounds useful - why don't you use it? I don't want to throw $75 at it and have it sit around.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:33 am

Dave Bagwill wrote:In theory the tool sounds useful - why don't you use it? I don't want to throw $75 at it and have it sit around.
I got it for the fret board extension, but with my bolt on bolt off necks the fret extension is mostly supported. In general I am happy pounding in frets. I must cut slightly wide slots anyway as I do not get a lot of back bow if any. I will still use it on the fret board extension during a refret that I have to do on a guitar. Even then I might only do the fret or two near the sound hole. Also it is less handy if your fret wire is coiled, which is the way a lot of fret wire is.

For the one or two frets I might use it on, I use it every other month or so. It was probably was not the best use of my money. With just a little more hassle, I can use a mill file. For my use, the precision of the shims is not necessary. I just want a fret that is easier to push in.

I get Ken's point that it would be valuable for restoration work, I think where there is a mismatch between a fret board and the fret wire.