laminated head block quick mortise

Solid or Laminated sides? Ribbon lining style (kerfing) - rim profiling, contouring and the logic for those choices
Paul C

laminated head block quick mortise

Post by Paul C » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:12 pm

I was playing around with this idea for a mortise in a headblock laminate. One piece at 7/8 and one at 3/4. Cut a1/4 " slot in the 7/8 piece. Insert a
piece of 3/4 mdf. Take 2 pieces 1 -1/2 long on both sides of the mdf and glue em up. Maybe I am thinking too much but it happens.
Attachments
0119142017.jpg
0119142017.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

ken cierp

Re: laminated head block quick mortise

Post by ken cierp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:19 am

Perhaps text or photos missing? -- I am clueless trying to figure what this post is about -- or maybe I am just dense?

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:04 pm

I don't have pictures here, but I've made 4 or 5 guitars with a neck block made from two pieces of mahogany. I cut the mortise into one on the bandsaw, then glue the two blocks together. You can also prefit your neck to the mortise before the neck block if you want, much like if you had a kit.

Kevin

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:25 pm

I will once again display my ignorance here.

Can a tenon be glued on to a butt-type neck end? Being as how the glue joint is stronger than the wood, why wouldn't it work?

And while I'm at it - how about this: make a rectangular mortise in your block; glue a rectangular tenon onto your heel; drill your holes and inset your insets and voila?
-Under permanent construction

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:36 pm

If this is about using a laminate for the neck block -- why not? Its stronger and is exactly the reason KMG kits and guitars have overlapping grain double layer neck blocks.

Dave I don't think a butt joint tenon just glued on "the end grain" will have nearly the strength of a solid/continuous piece of wood. Perhaps with pins/dowels/screws?

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:05 pm

I meant to say that I do cross the grain on the blocks, but I orient the correct grain against the sides so it is running the same direction as we have been taught. I always thought it would be stronger. I am considering going back to this method as it ultimately is less scary then routing that mortise in the body of the guitar with a big ol router...and, I can use Khaya(African Mahogany) that I got for about $5 a board foot for the blocks.