So what the heck is flossing have to do with a guitar!!

Dove Tail -- Mortise and Tenon -- the right choice and how to get it to fit
ken cierp

So what the heck is flossing have to do with a guitar!!

Post by ken cierp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm

It is my belief that there is confusion regarding using sand paper strips to change the neck angle (neck set) and the term flossing. Similar method but different with far different results. Sand paper can be effectively used to increase the neck set angle and correct an off center neck alignment. The process is simple and effective – so much so that great care should be taken to not cause drastic unwanted changes. All that is involved (once you decide how much correction is necessary) is to tightly pinch emery cloth facing up of course between the neck and the body. Pull the emery out toward the heel cap – the result is that material will be removed. However, more is taken off at the heel end than at the fingerboard end. So what happens as you do one side then other an equal number of times the neck will begin to tilt back away from the sound board, this the most common correction needed. If your neck is off center-line you need to do some flossing first.

Again it very similar except instead of pulling the paper toward the heel, it is pulled out to the side. Only doing this on the side you want to move toward the center.

Now “flossing” as I know it is a clean up operation done after finishing (by the way intentionally planning on setting the neck after finish is a repair operation which can be avoided by doing it right beforehand) Sorry that build then repair process shakes me to the core and is the very reason North America is playing catch up in the auto industry -- seen it all hppen before my very eyes. I digress, we most time leave some coating on the edges on the heel cheek and occasionally even after a good set, the heel joint line is not up to snuff. This is where “flossing” can make a joint line that will really impress. I believe the photos are self-explanatory.

Dave Bagwill

Re: So what the heck is flossing have to do with a guitar!!

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Illuminating. Thanks.
-Under permanent construction

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 pm

I've never covered the body with tape before doing this. Seems like a good idea to protect the finish, but that it might be harder to get that "perfect fit" we are looking for. I take it this has not been the case for you Ken?

Kevin

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:09 am

Works just fine. Tape conforms to the body, the sandpaper does not even know its there.

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 am

I use 4" wide sign makers tape. It's thinner, (and obviously wider) low tack. One roll goes a long way. I had one over 3 years now. I use it to cover the sound hole when polishing frets, etc. neck resets and fittings.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:38 am

ken cierp wrote:Works just fine. Tape conforms to the body, the sandpaper does not even know its there.
Yeah...unless you tell it! Then the sandpaper wants to fight with the tape. My blue tape and my sandpaper have a long standing feud regarding shelf placement. Anyway, the tape does not change anything unless you overlap the layers. Then you could have issues since there is a thick spot.

Setting the angle properly before you assemble anything, including the fret board being glued to the neck, makes this job so much easier. A little adjustment might be needed due to uneven thickness of the finish, or some finish on the neck heel, but in that case, you are not "setting" the neck angle so much as you are fine tuning the joint.

I am on my tenth guitar and I still follow Ken's directions on all of this building stuff.

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 am

Tony are you up to 10? Wow, I remember when you were just a baby newbee!!!!

Kevin