Best Niitro For Acoustic Guitars?

Pore filling -- application methods -- schedules

Moderator: dhlutherie

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
ken cierp

Re: Best Niitro For Acoustic Guitars?

Post by ken cierp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:47 am

Just a side bar

I realize that checking is a result related more to neglect than application but guitars are more susceptible to temp and humidity than bedroom furniture.

Guitars are kept in a case with a humidity device (or should be) all my lacquer furniture (some almost 30 years old) is living in humidity flucuation from 20-60 % no checks,crazing or cracks on any of it -- zero special care.

My point is that I take the "instrument lacquer" claims with a grain of salt. Should adding a tiny bit of plasticizer double the price of the product? Or is the pricing based on instilling fear in the mind of the potential user. Think about it all the pictures of guitars you see with checks and cracks are the objects that in fact have already been finished with instrument grade lacquer. And the small time refinishers are working on these very guitars $.02

George

Post by George » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:10 pm

kencierp wrote:Should adding a tiny bit of plasticizer double the price of the product? Or is the pricing based on instilling fear in the mind of the potential user. Think about it all the pictures of guitars you see with checks and cracks are the objects that in fact have already been finished with instrument grade lacquer. And the small time refinishers are working on these very guitars $.02
Good point!!!

If marketing strategy was a scheme to scare me into spending more money it worked this time.

I don’t know,,,, it must be the jitters of a first time nitro sprayer. I will be so glad when I reach the level of knowledge & confidence needed to build superior quality guitars. I’m having a ball but probably way over thinking everything at this point.

Looking forward to getting these guitars finished!!

George

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Price is usually a consideration. I got 3 guitars sprayed with my last gallon (Mohawk Classic Instrument Lacquer) and had some left over. With S&H I paid about $55 so around $17 a guitar. How much does it take with brushing lacquer or rattle cans (I've not used either for a complete guitar)?
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

Herman

Post by Herman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:09 pm

The best expirience I have with laquer is the Arti-nitrocellulose from Acroma Becker (in US in Jeffersonville (IN)). The only issue it has that it cannot stand a smash on the tableside. Then it will crack. Otherwise topstuff.

Herman

Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 pm

That's some rigorous testing you put your guitars through! Not sure mine would survive that! ;)
So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:17 pm

I took a look a moment ago, and at Lowe's a gallon of Deft brushing gloss lacquer is $27 and change, quarts of the same about $10 each.
Peter Havriluk

Harold in Tn

Post by Harold in Tn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 am

I just read on another forum that Watco took much longer to cure and was not meant to be buffed out. I know Ken has been using it and would like some more input.