Pinless bridge question

Materials used - making - placing - gluing to the sound-board <-----<<< got to get this right!
burmester

Pinless bridge question

Post by burmester » Wed May 08, 2024 12:30 pm

Hi

I'm building my first acoustic guitar and came across the pinless bridge design - I really like the clean look of them ;)
This one is from Michael Greenfield. Just stunning!
But regarding the design I am a bit puzzled. The strings exit through the holes in the bridge and to the saddle. In the picture, it looks like the strings are coming out of the hole, parallel to the top, maybe at a slight angle. I maybe wrong. But, isn't causing a lot of stress in the rear area of the bridge where the strings exits.
Or, are the stings actually coming in from the ball end to the saddle in one straight line - clearing the bridge? Any suggestions? ;)
g1.jpg
g1.jpg (108.8 KiB) Viewed 46 times
g2.jpg
g2.jpg (203.84 KiB) Viewed 46 times
g3.jpg
g3.jpg (101.22 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Last edited by burmester on Wed May 08, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Dickinson

Re: Pinless bridge question

Post by Carl Dickinson » Wed May 08, 2024 12:42 pm

I've done it that way several times. Never had one split off the top of the drilled holes yet.
Check out this thread, https://acousticguitarconstructionforum ... lot#p29210. It details slotting the holes to ease putting the strings on.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Wed May 08, 2024 2:22 pm

I saw some stress simulations, that showed there was not that much difference at the tail side of bridge pinned vs pin less. What is happening is that the bridge is rotating based on torque on the saddle. That force the same in pin-less and pinned rotates the bridge trying to peal it off the top.

So that is a great bridge design.

burmester

Post by burmester » Wed May 08, 2024 2:40 pm

Thanks for the link Carl, very informative.

John: sure it is a great bridge design - I'm just not sure if the string is coming out of the hole/pocket pushing up against the hole in the bridge, does it make sense?

burmester

Post by burmester » Wed May 08, 2024 3:07 pm

like this sketch
bridgeangle.jpg
bridgeangle.jpg (138.79 KiB) Viewed 33 times

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Wed May 08, 2024 4:08 pm

I missed that. I do not think that is would be an issue. Pinned bridge sort of have the same issue when the string angles to the saddle out of the bridge pin holes.

Herman

Post by Herman » Thu May 09, 2024 12:49 pm

The bridges I made in the past, pin bridges and pinless ones, are all in good shape. The only two that lifted were those who did not fit perfectly to the top's dome in the first place. (Too flat for the dome and pressed in place during glueing.) So my advise is: get that fitting right, first thing.
Herman