Glue type

Wood type -- slotting -- contouring -- fret installation
Geocoucou79

Glue type

Post by Geocoucou79 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:52 am

I’m trying to find information about which glue to be used when gluing the fingerboard. I understand we need a low temperature release glue in case we want to remove it. I don’t know where I read to use PVA glue for this but I now doubt this is right. That’s what I previously used and removing the fretboard was really hard. What you guys use?

Herman

Re: Glue type

Post by Herman » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:57 am

Hee Geo,
The best way IMO to go for gluing a fretboard that has to be able to be removed is Hide glue. It loosens very well when heat is applied. Titebond works fine too. Some builders prefer epoxy, because water based glues have the drawback of creating a back bow on the neck.
I prefer Titebond over epoxy because it squeezes out better than epoxy. After gluing I flatten the fretboard, instead of doing that before. I fret the neck after it is attached to the body and the flattening. But there are many ways leading to Rome, as we say.
Herman

BTW: When you want to release a fretboard, use moderate temperatures and take your time. Be sure to take 10 to 20 minutes before starting wiggling. Don't spoil the finish. When all warms up, in the end it will come off without much damage.

Kevin in California

Re: Glue type

Post by Kevin in California » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:04 pm

Good advice Herman. I use Titebond and I've had no trouble removing a fretboard or two.
I've not had an issue with the fretboard warping after gluing. I've attached it both ways. I now fret after attaching and do relevel and radius it on the guitar and then install frets. I do bolt on necks so there some flexibility in that being able install, level and radius, the remove the neck and hammer in the frets. Put back on the guitar to level and crown. But I do that after I spray the finish and polish out the guitar.