New shop in garage with gas hot water heater.

Work place layout -- Controlling Temperature -- Humidity -- Air Quality
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to share information, experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed.
K Wiebusch

New shop in garage with gas hot water heater.

Post by K Wiebusch » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:17 pm

I have moved and in the process of building a workbench in my garage. It is close to a gas hot water heater. I realize I cannot use flammable things like lacquer here. How volatile is wood dust? Should I at least put it on the other side of the garage. I will likely build a stand alone shop at some point but not right now.

Carl Dickinson

Re: New shop in garage with gas hot water heater.

Post by Carl Dickinson » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:09 pm

To be safe, good dust collection is good for that and you need it for your health too. Or an electric HWH would solve the explosive problem. I have a wood stove to heat the shop so that's something I have to keep in mind. :roll: I think your idea about putting it on the other side of the room would help too.

John Parchem

Re: New shop in garage with gas hot water heater.

Post by John Parchem » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:18 pm

I would not worry about expulsive wood dust. But you do want to protect your lungs.