My shop space now with the new work bench,lets see yours

Work place layout -- Controlling Temperature -- Humidity -- Air Quality
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to share information, experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed.
John J

Re: My shop space now with the new work bench,lets see yours

Post by John J » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:19 am

Looks good. Jealous of the square footage you've got. I like the dry erase board.
JJ
Learning every day. And having fun doing it.

Herman

Post by Herman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am

Yeah Steve, what a space. Your condition must be excellent with all these distances to go. I can touch all the things in my shop from my chair.
Herman

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Herman just goes to show you, you don't need a lot of space to build fantastic guitars like you do. Just think about all the great guitars that will be coming out of Steve's new shop.
Looks great Steve. Interesting bench design!!!!!!!

Steve Eubanks

Post by Steve Eubanks » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Kevin in California wrote:Interesting bench design!!!!!!!
Not sure which bench you're commenting on - it's been an evolutionary process. The one in the very back is the one I built when we moved into the house, and the building was mostly storage for things like Christmas decorations. It's a stereotypical garage bench - not recommended for guitar work.

I built the peninsula bench about a year ago when I started doing more projects. I designed it that way so I could work on things easily from both sides, and with the intention of mounting a moxon vice at the end. Still planning to do that. Surface has a piece of thin plywood on top (basically like a door skin). I like doing this because I like having a nice clean surface to work on (OCD?), and I can replace the "veneer" top whenever it gets too thrashed.

The long bench on the side was added in the recent update when I cleared all the rest of the storage out of the building. I wanted more work-surface space because my 17 yr old son wants to build with me (yes, you read that right). The notch in the long bench is for the chop saw.

Now I have to get out there and build guitars - don't want to be the guy that puts all his work into a nice shop but never produces anything with strings!

-- se
Steve Eubanks
Glendora, CA

Jim Ebert

Post by Jim Ebert » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:59 pm

Steve, nice shop. I'm in the west end of the San Fernando Valley, West Hills. You do need a band saw though. Maybe this one. I saw it on Craigs list on Friday. It is a bit of a drive but it might be worth it.
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/6095338556.html
I have this one and love it.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP ... rizzly.com
The CL saw is the same basic saw with out as much bling as the one I have. Anyway, I just thought I would throw it out there. Not really sure what your looking for.
Jim.