Filling Spruce

Pore filling -- application methods -- schedules

Moderator: dhlutherie

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
Scott Durham

Filling Spruce

Post by Scott Durham » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:57 pm

I am ready to finish my first guitar build. While sanding the rosewood, I masked the sound board using 3M masking tape labeled "For Delicate Surfaces". Never the less, being very careful, a small area lifted some of the wood when I removed the tape. What is the best way to fill the spruce? Thanks.

ken cierp

Re: Filling Spruce

Post by ken cierp » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:05 pm

The only way to invisibly fill light wood like spruce is to drop fill with the top coat chemical. Make a small puddle of the finish material on a piece of glass --- let it dry until its a gel consistency. Lay the gel in the void and let it dry thoroughly then scrap it flat with a single edge razor blade. This is done after the finish is applied. It may take several application since there will be shrinkage.

Oh -- in the future, warm the masking tape with a blow drier prior to removal.

Scott Durham

Post by Scott Durham » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks Ken

Well Duh on the hair dryer. I had read all the warnings about tape on spruce but it happened anyway.

Herman

Post by Herman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:09 am

When putting tape on spruce, I always hold the sticky side of the tape against my shirt. That way it grabs some fibers and it won't hold that tight.

Or wipe the spruce with laquer before taping, It will give a harder surface that is not so vulnerable anymore.

2x2ct Herman

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:45 pm

I ALWAYS spray my top with a couple thinned coats of vinyl sealer before sanding the back and sides. It rather easily sands off during finish sanding. Little if any tear out of wood fiber with binding tape.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

Scott Durham

Post by Scott Durham » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks, everybody