Favorite work lamps?

Work place layout -- Controlling Temperature -- Humidity -- Air Quality
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to share information, experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed.
Daniel P

Favorite work lamps?

Post by Daniel P » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:33 pm

I often find myself working late in the evenings, and while the window above my worktable is great during daylight, I need to get a worklamp - the ceiling lighting doesn't cut it.

Any of you have a favorite style - or just go with the standard swing arm lamp?

Daniel P

Re: Favorite work lamps?

Post by Daniel P » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Just picked up a pair of simple desk lamps from Ikea - nothing fancy.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20370383/

mike-p

Post by mike-p » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:53 pm

They are cheap! Bet they're twice the price in the UK...

Lee in UK

Post by Lee in UK » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:12 am

I just bought some of the same lamps from Ikea in the UK as I like that they clamp to the shelf I have above my workbench. £8.50. So not twice the price but still not as cheap!

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:44 am

We have a couple of those with compact fluorescent bulbs installed. Actually very flimsy and the locking mechanisms and springs are not strong enough. I've added heavy rubber bands and on one and a small clamp to keep it in the correct position. I am not a tool snub -- but on this I think a few extra $$ for a more shop worthy fixtures is a good investment. I have a goose neck unit that stays put -- but that one requires a special small flood lamp bulb that gets very hot. $02

John Link

Post by John Link » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:30 pm

I use the clamp on goose neck LED versions. Very stable, very easy to point light. When the LED burns out 10 years from now, you just toss the whole thing. The upside is not bulbs that ever come loose, or get hot, And the light is as warm-toned as incandescent.
John

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:34 pm

I did find a CFL that will fit in the gooseneck fixture -- yikes! those LED bulbs are sure pricey.