Soundboard sealer?

Making and Installing
Brad Hall

Soundboard sealer?

Post by Brad Hall » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 pm

I'm getting ready to install the rosette on my soundboard. Seems there are many opinions on what to use to protect the wood while building. My plan is to finish the entire guitar with tru-oil. I'm concerned about getting glue from the rosette install on the bare wood. If I use a spray lacquer, do I need to keep it out of the rosette channel for bonding purposes? Will there be any issues putting tru-oil over lacquer? Duco the preferred adhesive for the rosette, even with a tight fit? I've read water based glue (tight bond) can swell the wood and cause installation problems. Appreciate any advice.

Tim Benware

Re: Soundboard sealer?

Post by Tim Benware » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Start with: What is the rosette material? That will in many cases determine the glue type. Having said that I use shellac to protect the wood surface in that area. I wipe it on and keep it out of the channels unless using CA and then I coat the whole area.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

Brad Hall

Post by Brad Hall » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:57 am

Rosette is the standard KMG kit rosewood/ebony/chevron. The same question would apply to the curly maple binding where it meets the rosewood sides. I thought shellac was a bit yellowing? So, no compatibility issues later with tru-oil?

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:19 am

I do not use shellac for anything but French Polish --- for the very reason that you mention, it can cause color value shading which at times shows up well into the finishing process (that will pi** you off). Unless I am using CA adhesive I don't bother with the extra step of pre-sealing (factories don't do it why should I?) However, sealing prior to using CA is a must especially with the soft woods since it will wick into the end grain and produce an ugly florescent yellow green stain which cannot be removed. For this I use lacquer as a sealer.

Some coat the sound board to help remove binding tape so it does not cause splinters. I just use a hair dyer to warm the tape -- works perfectly.

As indicated in the instructions (no mention) there's no need to seal the rosette area unless you deviate and use CA. Check your fit, as instructed bevel the rosette edges if necessary, carefully and quickly apply glue and use a clamping device as described.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:26 am

Re: tru-oil - TO over lacquer. There are issues with that combination, so it is best to avoid it if possible, sand or scrape the lacquer off and, if it is a small area, apply a bit of shellac to the area before coating with TO.
-Under permanent construction

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:56 am

Ken, I sand/scrap back the shellac during the rosette leveling process so none is left on the top and as you mentioned I am one of those that uses shellac to protect the top from glue and tearing up when pulling the tape off. I sand that back as well in the finish prep process. I guess bottom line is whatever works best for you.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC