Deep ripples in Pau Ferro sides

Show us your DIY shop made Side Bender and the procedure for its use
hewitt

Re: Deep ripples in Pau Ferro sides

Post by hewitt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:22 am

Thank you Ken and John,

I'll beef up the springs and get a slat. For this guitar, I think I will add some extra reinforcement in the thin areas and go for it.

The first guitar I built (with my son for a school project 15 years ago), had sides that I cold molded with West System epoxy. They were 50 year old pieces of mahogany that I saved from some old house trim. I planed them down to about .050 and clamped them around a simple form. The guitar was fairly crude and only 3 1/2 inches deep, but it was surprisingly loud for such a small guitar. I may very well try laminating again in the future.

Thanks again!

ken cierp

Re: Deep ripples in Pau Ferro sides

Post by ken cierp » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:12 pm

The first guitar I built (with my son for a school project 15 years ago), had sides that I cold molded with West System epoxy. They were 50 year old pieces of mahogany that I saved from some old house trim. I planed them down to about .050 and clamped them around a simple form. The guitar was fairly crude and only 3 1/2 inches deep, but it was surprisingly loud for such a small guitar.
Good for you -- of course the internet is the main engine for our business, but the thing that really is a bother to me are the self proclaimed experts that try and convince the new comer how important such and such is when it comes this or that guitar feature. The fact is worrying about all the minutia has prevented many from entering into this great past time. Time and time again we hear about how nice the first time project turns out even when the builder wings it all the way. Truth is if the project kind of looks like a guitar chances are it will very much sound like a guitar.