aluminum mold bending surface

Show us your DIY shop made Side Bender and the procedure for its use
peter havriluk

aluminum mold bending surface

Post by peter havriluk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:47 pm

I intent to install an aluminum slat on the bending surface of the mold I'm making. I have .020 2024 aluminum that I intend to use for both the fixed slat attached to the mold and the slats in the side/heating pad/ slat sandwich. I'm seeking advice on whether the material is appropriate for the fixed slat.

Thanks very much.
Peter Havriluk

Kevin in California

Re: aluminum mold bending surface

Post by Kevin in California » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:16 am

Peter if you mean using it to cover the top of the form, yes. That will work well. It may not work so well for your sandwich though. A bit thick perhaps and, aluminum will tend to break after much bending and that may not flatten back out after each use like you might want it to. I used aluminum flashing on my forms, also 30 gauge galvanized metal. I got some .010 spring steel for the sandwich slats which works well.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:15 am

Kevin, thanks for answering. There's aluminum, and there's aluminum. 2024 is very springy stuff; I think it's worth an attempt to use for sandwich material. Price was right, so I can go back to my generous donor for something else if I want thinner. Big time consumers for me in using metal to cover the form is doing all the wood countersinking and metal drilling and dimpling. I'll make the mold first and manipulating the metal will let me figure out whether I ought to use something else for the slats. .010 spring steel ain't too friendly with bending, I suspect. One thing I've made my peace with when making my own tools/tooling is that the task will take what time it takes and rushing just frustrates the process and wastes material. Better to ignore the clock (calendar?) and enjoy the process. If I'm not spending cash I'm spending time.
Peter Havriluk

John J

Post by John J » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 am

Peter I've used just the aluminum I get at the home store for both covering the molds and the bending slats. Through a dozen builds I've had no issues.
JJ
Learning every day. And having fun doing it.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 am

We use 3003 .02" aluminum from McMaster Carr for covering and slats -- after 100's of cycles have not had one fracture. Tried flashing on one form and it was not stiff enough to prevent cupping.

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Peter, in the end, use whatever works for you.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:04 pm

If 3003 works, 2024 is overkill, but the price is right. Thanks, Ken.

And thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer experience and advice. Much appreciated.
Peter Havriluk