Georgia Luthier Supply side bender?

Show us your DIY shop made Side Bender and the procedure for its use
peter havriluk

Georgia Luthier Supply side bender?

Post by peter havriluk » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:02 am

Yesterday I bought and printed off the drawings sold by Georgia Luthier Supply, four sheets full of detailed specifications. Sure looks impressive. I thought that for a tool made once and used many times, I'd be well served to take advantage of design and debugging that somebody else has done. I hope.

Reason I spoke up: Has anyone built a bender from these folks' drawings? Any experiences or comments?

Thanks very much.
Peter Havriluk

John J

Re: Georgia Luthier Supply side bender?

Post by John J » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi Peter
I built my bender from those plans with some modifications. I don't use the bar under the sides because I cover my forms with aluminum. I also make the waist cauls that match each form from mdf. So far has worked very well for me. Let me know if you have questions or want some pics let me know. There is probably some pics somewhere in my posts.
JJ
Learning every day. And having fun doing it.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:03 pm

John, thanks for your comments. Same hymnbook. I can get any amount of aluminum I need, so I, too, intend to skin the form with it. I had notions of putting a break in the aluminum and using the bar as well. I was all happy with myself that I had a hunk of aluminum bar stock of the suggested size, and wanted to use it. It's been an adventure reviving dormant brain cells to read and interpret mechanical drawings.

It's all fun and fulfillment.
Peter Havriluk

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:53 pm

I had notions of putting a break in the aluminum and using the bar as well.
Do yourself a favor and build a waist bending pipe too. One cracked set of sides will pay for it $.02

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:16 am

Ken, on your earlier advice, the first bending tool I bought was the stuff to make up a pipe with a heat blanket. Much appreciate the reminder; under control.
Peter Havriluk

Daniel P

Post by Daniel P » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:44 pm

I built mine based on those plans - its worked wonderfully on everything from Ziricote to Figured Maple - happy to answer any questions that you have.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Returning with a pair of questions about forms:

I noticed in pictures posted here a form with wooden spreaders instead of metal tubing. Wood, I have, enough to make a form and its spreaders. Anything to be particularly aware of while making an all-wood form? Does an all-wood form have any performance differences from one with metal spreaders?

Is it desirable to cover the shaped bending area of the form with a metal slat? I have access to as much aluminum sheet as I can use. But I have no idea whether that's an improvement in results. Seems to me as if doing so is a way to make using the form less fussy.

Thanks, folks.
Peter Havriluk