Acoustic Guitar Construction in the small shop -- Kenneth Michael Guitars LLC

Information, ideas and help for those constructing scratch built acoustic guitars or acoustic guitar kits - © 2017
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:22 am 

Thank you Ken and John,

I'll beef up the springs and get a slat. For this guitar, I think I will add some extra reinforcement in the thin areas and go for it.

The first guitar I built (with my son for a school project 15 years ago), had sides that I cold molded with West System epoxy. They were 50 year old pieces of mahogany that I saved from some old house trim. I planed them down to about .050 and clamped them around a simple form. The guitar was fairly crude and only 3 1/2 inches deep, but it was surprisingly loud for such a small guitar. I may very well try laminating again in the future.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:12 pm 

Quote:
The first guitar I built (with my son for a school project 15 years ago), had sides that I cold molded with West System epoxy. They were 50 year old pieces of mahogany that I saved from some old house trim. I planed them down to about .050 and clamped them around a simple form. The guitar was fairly crude and only 3 1/2 inches deep, but it was surprisingly loud for such a small guitar.

Good for you -- of course the internet is the main engine for our business, but the thing that really is a bother to me are the self proclaimed experts that try and convince the new comer how important such and such is when it comes this or that guitar feature. The fact is worrying about all the minutia has prevented many from entering into this great past time. Time and time again we hear about how nice the first time project turns out even when the builder wings it all the way. Truth is if the project kind of looks like a guitar chances are it will very much sound like a guitar.

http://www.cncguitarproducts.com/
KMG Guitar Kit Information
http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/kitinfopackage.html