Successful resawing

Ideas for (DIY) shop made tools -- save money and add to the enjoyment
ken cierp

Successful resawing

Post by ken cierp » Sat May 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Rather then do the smart thing and invest in a true resaw, band saw I continue to screw around with a little Grizzly 555 -- not a bad tool but not the production grade device we really need. Anyway I make it work OK. I added the Carter Blade guides and we are currently using the Wood Slicer blade. The fence on the Grizzly is OK but I had to add an auxiliary height extension.

The locking lever on the fence must have been an after thought or perhaps the wrong one? It does not work since its in the way if you adjust the fence aligning the work piece to the blade -- a real engineering DUH! The first two pixs are of the original and the simple lever I made to replace it.

For resaw you really need a table extension to keep the process safe. I cut my slices off the out side of the blank rather than up against the fence -- binding is eliminated and most importantly the blank rides the fence with a smooth square side for each subsequent cut.

To gage the thickness I have the little device from Rockler that Dave Bagwill turn me on to -- very cool.

I made a special pressure spring to keep the blank pressed against the fence. It rides and locks in the table slot via a little gadget I found at MLCS -- I think the pictures speak for themselves but if you have questions I'll try and explain.

ken cierp

Re: Successful resawing

Post by ken cierp » Sun May 11, 2014 9:18 am

As a side bar the "Wood Slicer" boasted a stronger than normal weld and that's a good thing since its seemed I needed a bit more tension to eliminate flutter.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Sun May 11, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks you for sharing your setup. The output guide is a great idea that would sure help my setup.

Herman

Post by Herman » Sun May 11, 2014 9:32 am

Is that the wlanut you mentioned? The blade looks real thin, or do the teeth have a only little offset?

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Sun May 11, 2014 4:27 pm

The Rockler Thin-rip jig is on sale and this week there is free shipping with code V2555. You can save about $15.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun May 11, 2014 7:38 pm

Actually that is a piece of EIR in the pic -- yes the blade is very thin, cuts like crazy!

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Mon May 12, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks Tim -- I went and purchased another guide as well a dust separator that is on sale, great score with the free shipping code you supplied.