CA glue for rosette

Glue choices -- types and preferences
Chris K

CA glue for rosette

Post by Chris K » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Looking for the right glue to glue an abalone rosette. Most of what I've seen sets up real fast. Is there a specific type of hot stuff that has a longer set up time?

Thanks, Chris

peter havriluk

Re: CA glue for rosette

Post by peter havriluk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:43 pm

c/a adhesive comes in a range of viscosities and set times. Generally speaking, the thinner it is the faster it sets. You could look up a list of varieties readily available from Bob Smith Industries. Someone with experience in their use for lutherie would be the right person to listen to.
Peter Havriluk

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:11 pm

If you are using CA, You can place all the shell dry and then use thin CA to glue them in place. The CA will wick where it needs to go. But as Peter say the thicker stuff is not so fast to set.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:29 pm

I believe that Hot Stuff Thin Original is a better product on average than Bob Smith Ind. I have had issue with kick off time and shelf life with the Bob Smith Product.

As for installation -- when using CA the channels "MUST" be sealed to prevent horrible not repairable fluorescent yellow green stains in the sound board softwoods.

I follow the Taylor factory process and use nitro lacquer for the sealer.

The rosette is positioned in the channel/s than thin CA is used to flood the area -- done.

dave d

Post by dave d » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 am

+1 for Ken's process. Seal the channel with lacquer, place the pieces, and flood with Hotstuff CA. Works like a charm.