Black Cyanoacrylate Glue

Glue choices -- types and preferences
Bob Moore

Black Cyanoacrylate Glue

Post by Bob Moore » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Is black CA, like LMI sells, a very effective way of masking errors in inlays on ebony fret boards?
I have a few spots that I've discovered on a fret board that I inlayed. I used just regular CA with ebony dust created by the dremel drill. But I looked closely and need to cover some more spots that I missed. I thought about using the black CA with more ebony dust.
Does it dry shiny or does it go into the background and not leave a trace?
Any opinions?
Thanks,
Bob

ken cierp

Re: Black Cyanoacrylate Glue

Post by ken cierp » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:33 am

I know the CA and Ebony dust works very well. I may try the black CA -- my concern is the posssibility of light refraction from the dry glossy surface, I am thinking dust will be necessary anyway to prevent/mask this effect.

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:56 am

Bob Moore wrote:Is black CA, like LMI sells, a very effective way of masking errors in inlays on ebony fret boards?
I have a few spots that I've discovered on a fret board that I inlayed. I used just regular CA with ebony dust created by the dremel drill. But I looked closely and need to cover some more spots that I missed. I thought about using the black CA with more ebony dust.
Does it dry shiny or does it go into the background and not leave a trace?
Any opinions?
Thanks,
Bob
Take a black "Sharpie" and outline the inline with it. Hit the inlay with a quick burst of CA accelerator and then let it flash off. Flood (no need to over flood it just don't use too little) the inlay with thin CA. Sand it back, flaw gone. Works the same way with a brown Sharpie on RW.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

Bob Moore

Post by Bob Moore » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks, Ken. I was worried about it drying shiny as well.
Ben, much appreciated. These spots that I'm dealing with are after the inlay has been set with CA already, but looking at them, they will benefit from trying what you said with the marker.
Bob

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Bob Moore wrote:These spots that I'm dealing with are after the inlay has been set with CA already, but looking at them, they will benefit from trying what you said with the marker. Bob
That's OK, I do it after I've glued them in to hide pin holes around the inlay from air bubbles or lack off glue and sometimes need to do it more than once. As the old commercial goes "Try it, you'll like it:)"
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC