A 3/4 children guitar sellable?

Things that matter and not -- Just keep it wholesome
Herman

A 3/4 children guitar sellable?

Post by Herman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:16 am

Hey guys,

One commission to go and then there will be room for different things. The thought of a better children guitar came to my mind.
3/4 or so. Looking at the market, the children's guitars are almost all budget guitars.
There must be 10 year old kids that play the hell out of a guitar and deserve a really nice one.
So making such a guitar will be no problem, but selling one.......?
Anyone has seen a kid having/buying a, let say, 600-800 dollar guitar? Or made one?

(I could get stuck with a sensitive traveling axe)

Have a nice Christmas week,
Herman

John Parchem

Re: A 3/4 children guitar sellable?

Post by John Parchem » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:17 pm

I have a mixed answer ... I could see it in the States if you could reach the right parents; they will buy anything. I have sold $500 Ukuleles to parents for their kids despite the fact that $100 buys very nice ukes. I bought my kids 3/4 sized guitars when they were 8 years old for about $100 before I started building. The guitars I bought were nice but most of the cheaper 3/4 guitars are very bad and would discourage use as their setup is horrible. My fear as a parent would be spending money to get a hand built guitar that the child is going to grow out of.

Herman

Post by Herman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks John,
Ya, that is the split I find myself in. Well, if no gifted kid with ritch parents can be found, one could sell it as a traveling guitar.
I think I will dive into this assumed deep. I'll see the glorious riffs or break my neck. ;-) No guts no glory.
H

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Go for it Herman. There are a lot of little men out there that a 3/4 size guitar would be the perfect fit for!!!

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 pm

There are very nice parlor guitars out there that sell for lots of bucks - a 3/4 is about that same size. Very good size for smaller women as well.
-Under permanent construction