Retopping first Falcate braced Classical Guitar

Show us how your current project is progressing
Herman

Re: Retopping first Falcate braced Classical Guitar

Post by Herman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Excellent exercise , John.
I would discard the guitar, but you are doing a fine reanimation.
Nice to follow,
Herman

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks Herman,

Because this was a prototype that I was no longer playing and one I would never sell or even give to someone else I thought it was a great no risk opportunity to test and develop some repair and rebuild skills. Luckily I have the time to indulge.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 pm

The top went on pretty well. Probably less gaps than I have after I bind. I filled the gaps and started to french polish the top. At this point I know the guitar is going to turn out OK.

I could have used the padauk bridge I had on the the last top, but I did not take enough care when I removed it. so I laid up and profiled a walnut and a BRW bridge blank. I resawed into three veneers 4 mm, 3 mm and 2 mm thick and laminated them back together with two sheets of carbon fiber. The BRW bridge sure looked good but it was 24 grams and the walnut was 16 grams (before the final profile. I will ebonise the walnut bridge and use it. I will save the BRW bridge for a time when I have a top that is a bit too stiff.

I had a fun time with my micro-mill and did most of the final profile on the walnut bridge. I finished with a chisel.

Bridge before final sanding and ebonising.