HF workmate type thing $20

Work place layout -- Controlling Temperature -- Humidity -- Air Quality
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to share information, experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed.
Dave Bagwill

HF workmate type thing $20

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:57 pm

HF has a workmate type workbench on sale for $20. I picked one up, it was easy to assemble, works fine. Worth it to check it out if you could use something like that.

Also picked up on sale, a 2.5 cfm vacuum pump for the new and larger vacuum bag I will be using for lamination. I will take pix of this process and post them when I do. Pump was $100.
-Under permanent construction

Mark from Ashland

Re: HF workmate type thing $20

Post by Mark from Ashland » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:10 am

Hey, Dave,
What does HF call their workmate-type thing? I want to look at it. There is a used workmate for sale locally, but they want $30 for it, so I should compare with the HF one.
Somewhere in the wilds of southern Oregon...

-Mark LaCoste

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:12 am

Mark! Long time no hear!

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-sho ... 47844.html

Not a heavy-duty item, but I find it useful.

(BTW that benchtop craftsman band saw in my shop is yours if you want it.)

Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:23 pm

I had one of those when I first moved to my house. Lasted 3 weeks. Hope they have improved since then.
So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Been using mine for over a year, no problems.

Rienk Ayers

Post by Rienk Ayers » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Darn it Dave, you beat me to sharing my great idea.

I bought two of them, but both are going to be used to make a guitar clamp (combined with something like Dave made on this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=771 )
I figured that they were less expensive than pipe clamps like Ken and others use, and it will allow me to have an articulating one like his, but with the sides hard mounted to the clamps.
Plus, it comes with it's own stand, so it can be freestanding (though it is a bit wimply, it's good enough for holding a body for sanding, etc).

Whenever I get around to actually building them, I'll post pictures. If you beat me to it, let me know!

hikermike

Post by hikermike » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 am

Bought the original Workmate 35 years ago, still using it. Bought a later "improved/larger" one, took it back. Why? Keep this in mind when you check them out, one of the advantages is easy portability, moving it from here to across the room. The bigger it gets and the more gidgets added to it, the more cumbersome it gets. The "deluxe" model was like a poor heavy workbench. Remember, KISS.