DIY cheap and effective dust collector

Work place layout -- Controlling Temperature -- Humidity -- Air Quality
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to share information, experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed.
Dave Bagwill

DIY cheap and effective dust collector

Post by Dave Bagwill » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:06 pm

This keeps the dust produced by your power tools from getting to your shop vac and clogging the filters. The dust goes....well, here's the youtube link.
Let us know what you think.
http://youtu.be/g6j-psU1aWs
-Under permanent construction

ken cierp

Re: DIY cheap and effective dust collector

Post by ken cierp » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Thank you Dave --- I'll be making a few of those bad boys this week end! I was always under the impression the cyclones just seperated the chips (big stuff) keeping the filter clean is a most excellent improvement. I'm now pondering how to put the collection buckets outside the shops?

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Okay, I went to a junk store and got an old 5 gallon bucket and a lid, two pvc elbows, took them home, cut two holes in the lid, stuck the pvc in the right places, glued it, taped it, and hooked it up to my old shop vac. Then fired up my new (to me) performax 16-32 and ran the board through.

Results: a smooth board. A lot of sawdust, ALL of it in the bucket, none in the shop vac.

Now I'll need a more stable set-up, but it works and it's cheap!

No pix - the wife took the camera to a wedding. Dang. Well it ain't purty to look at anyway.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:04 am

Now that I understand the principles seems the internet has a vast array of ideas that will work -- as usually matching up connectors will be a challenge. Get out the "duct tape"

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Dave,
When did you get the drum sander, did I miss something?
I would like to see a pic of the gizmo you made!!

Kevin

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:30 am

Kevin - After two years of pretty much constant checking of Craigslist-Medford-Ashland Oregon and seeing NOT ONE drum sander for sale, I'd about decided to build my own when Lo! TWO of them showed up simultaneously, which means at the same time. Ha.
The one I bought was 15 minutes from home, works great, came with a buttload (which means, I don't really know how much) of extra Jet sandpaper for the machine.
So I did the following complicated procedure: I plugged it in, I set it so that the sander 'kissed' (the guy who sold it to me used the word 'kissed' so I suppose it is in the manual somewhere) the rough old timber I wanted to sand, and hit the 'on' switch. The rest is history, if by history you mean sawdust and a smooth board.
Since I am making the painful, tortured, angst-producing and acid-reflux transition to scratch building, this little machine will be used and treasured, and will share the bed with my wife and I.

As to the gizmo, it works great, and since most of you live far far away, I won't hear your laughter when I post the photo, so I will. :-)

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:54 am

Here's the pic, with the obligatory shot of the dust in the bucket and the no-dust in the vac. The vac is stained from previous use, not from this trial.
Attachments
DSC00416.JPG
DSC00416.JPG (239.16 KiB) Viewed 1955 times