Acoustic Guitar Construction in the small shop -- Kenneth Michael Guitars LLC

Information, ideas and help for those constructing scratch built acoustic guitars or acoustic guitar kits - © 2017
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:44 pm 

Testing over the past few months with a hygrometer has shown that we're often in the 75% range here at my house in the Pacific NW - higher that what most would recommend for storing tone woods. So I've just set up a large closet with a dehumidifier to bring the humidity down to 45-50% for storing my wood.

I've put the top, back and bracing material for my next guitar in the closet, and wondering if there is a general rule of thumb for how long it takes dimensioned wood to acclimate to the lower humidity? Give it a few days, weeks, ?...

For instruments that will stay here in the NW, would I be better not to go too low on my pre-build humidity - maybe more like 55%? Or am I starting to overthink it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:12 pm 

In less than 45 minutes at 40% humidity the processed sitka top really had bowed - the outer edges were curled up about 1.5" from the center.

I've adjusted the dehumidifier to aim for 50% and suspended the top in the closet so that it will dry more equally on both sides, and is straightening out quickly. The back plate did not bow nearly as much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:47 pm 

I sticker newly arrived wood under clamped pressure.

http://linkguitars.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:25 pm 

John- yes, all my new unjoined soundboards are stacked, under pressure - I likely should have done the same with this fully processed top (thickness, rosette in, and sound hole cut).