Humidity and mdf

Work place layout -- Controlling Temperature -- Humidity -- Air Quality
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to share information, experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed.
Dave Bagwill

Humidity and mdf

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat May 10, 2014 6:18 pm

I just had a roof put on the leaky old barn, so now I have a lot (comparatively) of new space where I can move things out of my small and crammed humidity controlled area. BUT - the new space has no heating or humidification, and it being an old barn, there probably is no way I could afford to heat it and humidify it.

I have a lot of mdf forms, and molds, and sheet goods that I could move into the new space, but I do worry about a mold, for instance, warping beyond usability.

Would I be safe storing that stuff in the new space, do you think?
-Under permanent construction

Lonnie B

Re: Humidity and mdf

Post by Lonnie B » Sat May 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Dave;Bogdonovich in his book says to give them a good couple coats of shellac to seal them. I've done it with mine. He say's it works

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat May 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks Lonnie - I suppose that spraying on some bullz-eye shellac could seal it pretty well?
-Under permanent construction

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sat May 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Your welcome Bud. Wish I had some extra space:0)

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun May 11, 2014 7:36 am

For a sealer I'd recommend something substantial like Minwax fast dry polyurethane -- a couple good heavy coats. Cursory applications of shellac are pretty much a waste of time. Placing the objects in large garbage bags would be best -- I think you can get clear from Uline or one of the big box store. $.02

For the environment a few hanging fabric bags of calcium chloride and a constant running fan will help to prevent mildew.

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sun May 11, 2014 10:25 am

Sounds good to me thanks Ken