Florida humidity

Work place layout -- Controlling Temperature -- Humidity -- Air Quality
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to share information, experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed.
Rick Garrett

Florida humidity

Post by Rick Garrett » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:01 pm

Hello
I just ordered my first kit from Ken , and I can't wait for it to get here so I can get started. Now from what I have read I need to address the humidity problem. I have a new shop that is 12 by 30 ,it is in the process of getting the elec installed now. It will be getting insulated and have a/c hopefully by this summer,but in the meantime I was wondering if I could make a small room with a dehumidifier that I could take the wood in and out of as I am working on it ,or do I need to have the work area dehumidified while working .
I just checked and the humidity in the shop is about 56 and the temp is 73 , in the summer we have many days with the humidity well over 90% here in central florida .
Thanks for any help on this subject.

ken cierp

Re: Florida humidity

Post by ken cierp » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:24 pm

The thin wood will acclimate in just a few hours -- the neck and bracing material longer. So short answer, get a dehumidifier and keep all the material at there smallest construction sizes stored and during construction time. If they expand after assembly that is not a big deal (no cracks) and maybe set-up adjustments will be required. On the other hand wood that shrinks after construction is prone to cracking and joint failure. I've seen clever and rather ingenious tactics used to get around this construction requirement -- I have personally only taken the common route in moisture control.