Air Cleaner in the shop

Work place layout -- Controlling Temperature -- Humidity -- Air Quality
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to share information, experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed.
Kevin in California

Air Cleaner in the shop

Post by Kevin in California » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:19 pm

I acquired this unit from my Dad. It is an electrostatic, and it works very well.
Cleaner breathing ahead.

Kevin
Attachments
air cleaner 1.JPG
air cleaner 1.JPG (175.59 KiB) Viewed 2459 times

ken cierp

Re: Air Cleaner in the shop

Post by ken cierp » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:55 pm

So it has no fabric filters? What brand?

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:11 am

Right, no fabric filters. It has a metallic mesh, probably aluminum, pre-filter that is washable, then there is the electrostatic filter area. They both slide out for cleaning. It has a two speed fan and moves between 350 and 450 cfm of air. It is an Emerson SC500.
I was going to build one, had the motor and squirrel cage and was ready to go, and this one showed up so I figured it was a better deal.
It seems to be working quite well.

Kevin

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:19 am

I have one of those on my Christmas list.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

Rienk Ayers

Post by Rienk Ayers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:35 am

Nice!
I dusted off an old JDS-2000 that I had at work, and will be installing it in my home shope as soon as we finish installing the ceiling utilities (air, electricity, vacuum).
Even with a vacuum system, cleaning up the air around you is still a good idea.

Andy Birko

Post by Andy Birko » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 am

Hi Everybody - new to this forum but I've been hanging around the luthier forums for about 15 years now.

Anyhow, I've been trying to spread this information around as it's a big help - all of these air cleaners come ready to mount to a ceiling but, that's actually the worst place to have them mounted. Dust settles - if you can find room, under a bench or something, mount your air cleaners low and they'll pick up more dust.

The ideal setup is to have the intake for the air cleaner low and the exhaust high. That's the setup they use for operating rooms to keep the sterile field cleaner. Intakes are low and at the walls of the O.R. with the filtered exhaust directly above the operating table.

Try it, you'll like it!
Andy Birko
My Bandura Making Blog: http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:42 am

Welcome Andy!

I certainly agree with your assessment regarding particle circulation paths -- gravity rules. The main air cleaner in our shop is built around a whole house furnace blower. Air turn over in the shop (1500 sq ft) is calculated at once every couple of minutes or so. The intake has a furnace type pre filter and the output has two 24x20 1 micron elements -- it is as you suggest at floor level. We have another at the other end of the shop also on the floor -- 1200 CFM.