My take on humidity.

Work place layout -- Controlling Temperature -- Humidity -- Air Quality
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to share information, experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed.
ken cierp

Re: My take on humidity.

Post by ken cierp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:56 pm

First 60 seconds

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:04 am

I'm with you Dave. I've built in Arizona where the air was dry as a popcorn fart. Also here in Tennessee in the spring and summer it get's way up there then it rains. This year I swear we had a monsoon season. The only damage I saw was an 88 year old man who brought me a Martin from out of the sixties to replace some frets. He called me about four days later and asked me if I could fix the action on it. I said what's up? The action was perfect when it left here the other day! He had listened to a guitar tech who told him that sometimes in the winter we get awful dry here. So the old guy stuck a humidifier into the sound hole and didn't release the tension on the strings. Well it didn't quite fold up completely. But he sure screwed up a nice old Martin. I refused to fool with it for him. As I keep those little packets inside my guitar cases to keep the humidity down. Poor old guy that nice guitar will never be as nice as it once was. I talked to the Tech who told him about the humidity. He had tried to fix the action. He was able to get it down a little. But he basically was just mentioning a cold dry winter of years past. The old fella took matters into his own hands. I've lived here in Tennessee for 20 years. I have probably 20 guitars in cases all with those little packets. It's wet here not dry. I really don't worry about humidity here. I'm sure there are scientific studies that show I should be working in a climate controlled room.

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:58 am

Well good reads. I admit I looked at my humidity gauge. Seems I'm in the safe zone

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:24 pm

To be clear. I think humidity control is very important. I send my guitars all over the country thus I want to make sure that I am building at an acceptable humidity level. Seattleites are just luckily enough to live in a very temperate climate with very even in the house RH.

Even still my shop has humidity control as I am in a basement literally over an under ground stream.