Acoustic Guitar Construction in the small shop -- Kenneth Michael Guitars LLC

Information, ideas and help for those constructing scratch built acoustic guitars or acoustic guitar kits - © 2017
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:45 am 

John that is how a working shop should look. Keep on messing it up. Mine looks like that too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:33 am 

Nice space Steve -- looks like a metal structure, any plans for humidity contol?

http://www.cncguitarproducts.com/
KMG Guitar Kit Information
http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/kitinfopackage.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:59 pm 

ken cierp wrote:
Nice space Steve -- looks like a metal structure, any plans for humidity contol?

That's a problem yet to be solved. The advantage I have is that I'm in Southern California, so most of the year, humidity isn't much of a problem, but this year's wet winter proved that "most of the time" is a pretty unreliable measure. As I'm dealing with all the other work associated with building out the shop, my fall back is just to keep project materials in the house where I have a little more control.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:15 am 

Finished up Phase 1 of the shop this weekend. All cleaned up and ready for me to get in there and mess it all up with actual project work now. The two missing pieces at this point are a band saw (still looking for a nice saw that I can get at a price way below what it's worth), and to build/install the vice at the end of the peninsula bench.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:19 am 

Looks good. Jealous of the square footage you've got. I like the dry erase board.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am 

Yeah Steve, what a space. Your condition must be excellent with all these distances to go. I can touch all the things in my shop from my chair.
Herman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:51 pm 

Herman just goes to show you, you don't need a lot of space to build fantastic guitars like you do. Just think about all the great guitars that will be coming out of Steve's new shop.
Looks great Steve. Interesting bench design!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:38 pm 

Kevin in California wrote:
Interesting bench design!!!!!!!

Not sure which bench you're commenting on - it's been an evolutionary process. The one in the very back is the one I built when we moved into the house, and the building was mostly storage for things like Christmas decorations. It's a stereotypical garage bench - not recommended for guitar work.

I built the peninsula bench about a year ago when I started doing more projects. I designed it that way so I could work on things easily from both sides, and with the intention of mounting a moxon vice at the end. Still planning to do that. Surface has a piece of thin plywood on top (basically like a door skin). I like doing this because I like having a nice clean surface to work on (OCD?), and I can replace the "veneer" top whenever it gets too thrashed.

The long bench on the side was added in the recent update when I cleared all the rest of the storage out of the building. I wanted more work-surface space because my 17 yr old son wants to build with me (yes, you read that right). The notch in the long bench is for the chop saw.

Now I have to get out there and build guitars - don't want to be the guy that puts all his work into a nice shop but never produces anything with strings!

-- se

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:59 pm 

Steve, nice shop. I'm in the west end of the San Fernando Valley, West Hills. You do need a band saw though. Maybe this one. I saw it on Craigs list on Friday. It is a bit of a drive but it might be worth it.
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/6095338556.html
I have this one and love it.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP ... rizzly.com
The CL saw is the same basic saw with out as much bling as the one I have. Anyway, I just thought I would throw it out there. Not really sure what your looking for.
Jim.