The Art of Tap Tuning --- Roger Siminoff

Tell us what you think of the construction books YOU OWN -- "please no hear say"
ken cierp

The Art of Tap Tuning --- Roger Siminoff

Post by ken cierp » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:12 pm

At the very least this is an interesting read and you will learn new things --like how the size of the sound hole actually impacts the sound of the instrument. You'll kick things off with a DVD viewing which is very well produced -- the video has some demonstrations that will certainly get you on the same page as Roger. The sub-title is "How to Build Great Sound into Instruments" I personally have a bit of trouble with that premise since in reality one wants to build better sounding instruments. I say this because years ago I did build two almost identical David Russell Young "D" size guitars out of Mahogany, for one I went through the exercise of frequency tuning the components (to G) and the other was simply constructed using my normal specs and processes. I could hear no difference nor could anyone else that I asked to give a listen -- all however, were very impressed that they all sounded so similar and get this, and that they sound so similar to a Black Walnut David Russel Young "D" I built during the same time period.

That said, I am still glad I own this book and also Roger's first publication -- while certainly not fluent regarding the subject I am able to carry on a discussion -- I guess that's just enough to make me dangerous!