Acoustic Guitar Construction in the small shop -- Kenneth Michael Guitars LLC

Information, ideas and help for those constructing scratch built acoustic guitars or acoustic guitar kits - © 2017
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.

Post subject: Re: Zero Glide nut
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:56 pm 

Here's a few pix of my 'zero-glide' process. Works surprisingly well.

First I use a poly cutting board from WMart - it is 3/16" thick, which is the measurement I want for my nuts and saddles. I just pop a nut into the slot in the board, and sand away until it is flush - done.

I then put the nut into the nut slot, and use a sharpened dowel's point, which I've made to be flush with the bottom of the dowel, blackened with a Magic Marker to ink the point, then draw 2 lines on the nut - a line like we would draw with the half-pencil, on the same plane as the frets, and then a line just at the fb end. I want to cut a slot that takes out the lines and the material between them, just deep enough to fit 1/2 of the fret (no tang). That is done on the Dremel, and I use a little homemade fence with the Fret press caul for the fingerboard radius (16") clamped under it to use as a template. Once it is set up, it's a snap to route out the ledge for that part of the fret.

The other part of the fret lies on the fb, of course, plus I do two things: first I use the Fret Barber to remove all the barbs and part of the tang, to get it nice and thin; then I remove a sliver of the fb, just the size of the tang. Then I temporarily place the nut, slide the fret onto the nut 'ledge' and the tang into its tiny recess and the rest of the fret onto the fb and, with always a little tweaking, that part is done.

Now I have to shape the nut and cut the string guides, which is a cinch for zero-fret nuts, polish it up and done.

Attachments:
DSC00020.JPG
DSC00020.JPG [ 124.45 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]
DSC00022.JPG
DSC00022.JPG [ 165.6 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]
DSC00023.JPG
DSC00023.JPG [ 142.61 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]
DSC00024.JPG
DSC00024.JPG [ 138.79 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]
DSC00025.JPG
DSC00025.JPG [ 150.68 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]
DSC00027.JPG