Wood Grain

Types of finish coatings -- application tools -- application methods
John Parchem

Re: Wood Grain

Post by John Parchem » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:37 pm

I will not disagree that wet sanding in the pores looks good. It depends on what you want. Just using the danish oil will wet the wood bring out the color and grain of the wood. Much like the temporary look of wiping down the wood with naphtha or water. This is a good look. Going with a clear or darker fill will "makes the grain stand out".

I have done pumice and shellac fills on rosewood. This fills the pores with the average color of the surrounding wood as it picks up both oils and sanding dust. The guitars looked good. I get a very different look if I go with a black fill or a clear fill. Clear fills show as dark, black pores really pop the grain as well.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:43 pm

I plan to pore fill by wet sanding with the Danish oil.

I don't think so?? Not if you want to "pop" the grain as they say.

What kind of wood?

No matter what your finishing plan the worst possible procedural decision you can make is to use your finished guitar project for the test bed.

Get a bunch of scraps of the same materials and work with them until you find a process you like.

Looking for a straight forward and proven system --- Tru-oil seems a good choice. Lot of info available including Dave Bagwill's tutor

John DiMaggio

Post by John DiMaggio » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks everyone.

Will experiment on scraps.