z-poxy question

Types of finish coatings -- application tools -- application methods
Dave Bagwill

z-poxy question

Post by Dave Bagwill » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:27 pm

I can purchase a 4 oz. package of the stuff - is the 4 oz. sufficient for 1 guitar, or more than 1? That's 2 oz of the hardener and 2 oz of the resin.
-Under permanent construction

ken cierp

Re: z-poxy question

Post by ken cierp » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:46 pm

It goes a very long way -- I'd say at least eight.

I use a 3M rubber squeegee to apply clean it with alcohol.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks. Mostly I see the 12 oz for sale, so I was concerned about the 4 oz.
Plus, does anyone actually sell this stuff in a store? I'm calling around and not finding any.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:10 pm

RC modeler's hobby shop -- it was originally marketed to laminate fiberglass to balsa and spruce. Also used to smooth the surface of the FG cloth.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:55 pm

Ok, I found some free shipping and ordered the 4 oz. kit. Then watched a vid series on youtube - 3 videos, same luthier same guitar, e days of having to be perfect with the application of three coats. Crap. 3 days to fill pores.
I talked to Brian Burns about David Schramm's claim to put a complete finish on a guitar in two hours, using the .7 lb cut of shellac method; Brian now thinks that Schramm had already pore-filled using plaster of paris or some such; Brian's method is to apply the shellac then sand back after a couple of days to see if the pores are sufficiently filled.
So it looks like a days-long process. Crap.
The tru-oil slurry method does realistically take a couple of days as well. So does the endgrain sawdust/shellac method of Robbie O.
Haven't tried the egg whites.

Really, I'm turning 68 in a couple of months, and it is realistic for me to purchase closed-pore woods for building whatever guitars I have left in me - quite a few, I hope. I updated the 'closed-pore woods' thread yesterday btw.