Scratch removal

Types of finish coatings -- application tools -- application methods
John J

Scratch removal

Post by John J » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Soooo. My Koa and cedar got scratched up on the right upper bout pretty good. I broke it down and sanded the scratches out -they ran pretty deep. Trouble is now I have an area that doesn't blend in. These pics just after I applied a little Seal Lac to see where I was. Finish is Royal Lac over Seal Lac padded on. Will I have to sand the entire top back down to make it look all even? Thanks for any advice on this.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.1 KiB) Viewed 559 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.82 KiB) Viewed 559 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (143.18 KiB) Viewed 559 times
JJ
Learning every day. And having fun doing it.

ken cierp

Re: Scratch removal

Post by ken cierp » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Koa as well as many of the softwoods and hardwoods quickly take on a patina (I guess from UV and/or oxidation) -- from my experience if you sanded down to and removed the slightest amount of wood you will never be happy short of a complete strip and sand.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:37 pm

I am with Ken. When I have sanded down to the wood or through the finish of a light top I never have been able to make the area invisible. I always ended up sanding down the top before I was happy.

John J

Post by John J » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:11 pm

I think it's going to be ok. I started sanding down with the intention of doing the entire top. But I realized that I might be able to do the one side and blend at the lighter center section. I put a couple of passes with the seal lack and it looks pretty good. Still have a tough time around the bridge.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (143.91 KiB) Viewed 526 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.05 KiB) Viewed 526 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.31 KiB) Viewed 526 times
JJ
Learning every day. And having fun doing it.