Attach the neck before or after

work place -- lighting -- tools -- sanders -- abrasives
Chris K

Attach the neck before or after

Post by Chris K » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm sure the answer to this question is probably here on the forum somewhere but can't seem to find it. I am getting ready to finish with deft rattle cans having pore filled with Zpoxy. Can somebody please give me a basic pro/con explanation of attaching the neck to the body before or after spraying on finish. I would prefer to attach the neck prior to finishing but can see the benefits in polishing the area around the heal before doing so.

Thanks,
Chris

peter havriluk

Re: Attach the neck before or after

Post by peter havriluk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:52 am

Chris, you're in for an adventure trying to finish the neck heel, the front of the body, and the soundboard satisfactorily after the neck is attached to the body. All three regions will be much easier to finish with the neck off the body.
Peter Havriluk

ken cierp

Re: Attach the neck before or after

Post by ken cierp » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:01 am

Classical guitars are finished all the time with the neck attached (Spanish heel design dictates process). But it is truly a "pita" dealing with the joint intersection if applying anything but French polish leveling and polishing in particular. In the life time of a steel guitar its highly likely the neck will need to be removed, for a guitar built by someone new to the craft the odds go up. So spraying that neck joint "shut" adds to the complexity of the neck re-set introducing finish damage and refinishing issues into the equation.