Different scale length

Wood type -- slotting -- contouring -- fret installation
Paul C

Different scale length

Post by Paul C » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:56 am

I'm building a guitar for a friend who is a working musician on weekends. He mostly plays solo. He tunes his guitar to d standard not drop d. The strings seem a bit loose although it stays in tune fairly well. He tunes down so it's easier on his voice. I'm thinking a different scale length would be better to suit him. I have a 27 in scale baritone that I play which I have tuned to d it is an electric. It seems like it would be ok if I made his neck to that scale. Any thoughts welcome. This is the part of Luther that is a little confusing to me since I started. It's easy to copy and use jigs and I'm thankful for that!. Also would I have to compensate for the top and body.

Dave Bagwill

Re: Different scale length

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 am

Hi Paul - D'Addario has an online chart that will allow you to pick gauges of strings that will be in tune and correct tension for that (or any) tuning. I will have to find that chart and when I do I will post it. I had a computer mishap so the bookmark I had just up and disappeared.

Oh hey just found it:

http://www.daddario.com/dastringtension ... 7b5e614431
-Under permanent construction

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:26 am

I agree with Dave -- high tension string sets are a much better option. But transposing the chords/music and playing in a different key seems like its the best/normal solution.

Paul C

Post by Paul C » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Ok thanks guys. Checking that chart now!.