installing dot markers

Wood type -- slotting -- contouring -- fret installation
mike-p

installing dot markers

Post by mike-p » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:55 am

any recommended guide, just dots on the flat and little ones on the side, do i need a particular drill bit that will create a flatter hole for the dots to sit in? I assume i want to do this before installing the frets but after gluing the FB to the neck and shaping the neck/ uniting the edges with the fretboard?

thanks all.

ken cierp

Re: installing dot markers

Post by ken cierp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:35 am

There ae certainly many different approaches to this process. Yes the finger-board should be complete before assembly to the neck. Just take time to do a good layout, use a center punch to mark those locations. Some like to drill a starter hole with a small bit -- that way if it wanders a little it can be filled, remarked and re-drilled. For the full size holes, brad point drills are nice but sometimes difficult to find. Jobber or woodworkers bits work fine too just make sure they are sharp. A stop collar is must if you don't have a drill press. Check your depth on a piece of scrap and you're good to go.

mike-p

Post by mike-p » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:25 am

thanks KEn, very helpful. Sounds like i need a sharp new drill bit and collar.

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:39 am

I like to use Forstner bits or HSS brad point bits as I think the holes are cleaner and flatter than the jobbers. The jobbers seem to me to leave a triangular bottom. Also, the forstner and brad points have a point that I use to center punch before I start to drill.

The order I do it in is:

1. Install fret markers
2. radius board
3. Install frets
4. Glue up FB to neck
5. Install side dots
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:52 am

Yeah the brads point and Fortners are nice if you can find the right size and afford them -- actully I never use them. For years I had Martin process most of my standard fingerboards (they will no longer sell me Ebony, cities issues I guess?)- the bottoms of the holes are "V" shaped, I use and recommend CA to attach the dots (same as Martin) and found that the extra depth to be a non-issue -- And like Martin I radius the FB prior to drilling. Found that for me its better to set the depth to the FB contour rather than taking a chance of sanding off the prime surface of the pearl/Abalone. -- See like I said, there are different approaches.

mike-p

Post by mike-p » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:02 am

great, thanks guys, you're very kind. So I am aiming for the perfect depth for the dot to be installed without then needing to be levelled? I can probably get use of a drill press as i imagine it makes the process much easier.

mike-p

Post by mike-p » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:13 am

looks like the little dots are a shade under 1/4" so that's the size bit i need or do I need a very snug fit like 6mm.

Ken- do you know off the top of your head the bit size for the tiny side markers?