Tooling for cutting the m/t?

Dove Tail -- Mortise and Tenon -- the right choice and how to get it to fit
Dave Bagwill

Tooling for cutting the m/t?

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:41 pm

What do you guys use to cut your mortises and your tenons? I'm looking for a method using a router, most likely. Links to plans or pix would be appreciated.
-Under permanent construction

Herman

Re: Tooling for cutting the m/t?

Post by Herman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:13 am

The dovetails I make are routed with the Stewmac templates and routerbit.
Works just fine for me. I used to make teh dovetails by hand. But routing gives a cleaner result. Making the jig was a precise thing. All directions must be perpendicular. I had one just a bit off, and it showed directly in the dovetail.
But making any jig needs time, the right materials and patience.
Herman

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:48 am

I'm using the Simpson jig, got it used from Parchem when he upgraded. It works just fine. I think you can still buy them from him. Does M & T and dovetails, body and neck.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:46 am

Sounds good - I just checked Simpson's website and they are available.
Unless a better suggestion comes along - and I don't mean the one where I grab a dull saw and eyeball the tenon, then grab a dull chisel and eyeball the mortise - as appealing as that sounds! - I'll probably order the Simpson.
-Under permanent construction

dave d

Post by dave d » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:44 am

Has anyone here used both the Simpson device and the LMI mortise and tenon templates and can provide any pros/cons to either? Both look like they would do the job fine, but one additional step with the LMI solution is that you have to build the jig that holds the neck or body. I think the Simpson method assumes that you have a vise to clamp your neck and body in. As Herman mentioned similarly for the Stewmac version, the jig needs to be very precisely built, but once that's done they both appear to be up to the task.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:26 am

dave d wrote:Has anyone here used both the Simpson device and the LMI mortise and tenon templates and can provide any pros/cons to either? Both look like they would do the job fine, but one additional step with the LMI solution is that you have to build the jig that holds the neck or body. I think the Simpson method assumes that you have a vise to clamp your neck and body in. As Herman mentioned similarly for the Stewmac version, the jig needs to be very precisely built, but once that's done they both appear to be up to the task.
I used the Simpson device. I think the only pro\con between the LMI and Simpson jig is the Simpson jig comes already made.

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:05 am

One note Dave the Simpson jig is sized to use a straight bit that matches the router guide insert size or a flush trim type bit. I wanted to use my plunge router and take small bites, not full depth cuts so I adjusted the width of the template for the tenon down and use a 1/2" bit in a 5/8" router guide. Too scary taking a 3/4" or so depth cut all at once on a guitar body for sure. How do I know?????????? Don't ask, don't tell.