Neck angle second chance.....

Dove Tail -- Mortise and Tenon -- the right choice and how to get it to fit
MarkAndrew1

Re: Neck angle second chance.....

Post by MarkAndrew1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:54 am

Tim Benware wrote:Well it's hard to see the mark you are measuring by but I believe John P is right, it is probably closer to 89*. Seems like it depends which surface you put that on as to which row to read. I am pretty sure if you contact the maker he'll know what degree he cut it to and it should be real close to that if not dead on.
maybe I should just invest in a digital one :)

dave d

Post by dave d » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am

MarkAndrew1 wrote:So, just for the sake of my clarity. The bottom row of numbers
is the one I should have been reading to get the neck angle?
I'm terrible at this stuff but trying to learn.....
For your situation (that brand of protractor, placed on the neck in that way), yes, it's the bottom row.

As a visual double-check, your second photo does look like it is less than 90*, which as the other fellows have said, is correct. It should be close to 89* and that's what it looks like to me. If you held a small machinists square (90*) on it, you would see a gap there, so therefore the angle is less than 90.

MarkAndrew1

Post by MarkAndrew1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:06 am

dave d wrote:
MarkAndrew1 wrote:So, just for the sake of my clarity. The bottom row of numbers
is the one I should have been reading to get the neck angle?
I'm terrible at this stuff but trying to learn.....
For your situation (that brand of protractor, placed on the neck in that way), yes, it's the bottom row.

As a visual double-check, your second photo does look like it is less than 90*, which as the other fellows have said, is correct. It should be close to 89* and that's what it looks like to me. If you held a small machinists square (90*) on it, you would see a gap there, so therefore the angle is less than 90.
Yeah, you're right Dave. The black line in the protractor is between 90 and 89deg's. So,
should I just call it 89deg's? That would give me 89+91=180. The complimenting angle
at the body should be 91deg to form the straight line I'm looking for.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 pm

You need to flip the protractor the other way so the long part lays along the "cheek" of the heel --- not next to the tenon. that is the angle which is important, where the heel contacts the body -- I bet its 88.5 +/-

MarkAndrew1

Post by MarkAndrew1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:44 pm

ken cierp wrote:You need to flip the protractor the other way so the long part lays along the "cheek" of the heel --- not next to the tenon. that is the angle which is important, where the heel contacts the body -- I bet its 88.5 +/-
Ahhh, so not along the fingerboard side like I have it in the picture. Okay, I'll
do that tonight. It should be 88.5 cause it's straight from Martin. So, 88.5+91.5= 180degs.
That should do it....

After I confirm that then I will make sure the mortise area is completely flat (just a light
sanding) and then remove the mortise cap to put the neck on and see where I'm at.

MarkAndrew1

Post by MarkAndrew1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Okay, so i took the protractor and flipped it around so that
the long side is on the cheek of the neck. In the close up picture
you can see that it's reading between 89 and 90deg. Am I reading
it right this time? I think i am.

I'm assuming that I'm supposed to be using the top row of
numbers now since I flipped the protractor over. Is that correct?
Attachments
photo(95).JPG
photo(95).JPG (49.76 KiB) Viewed 728 times
photo(94).jpg
photo(94).jpg (167.23 KiB) Viewed 728 times

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:01 am

I would say yes.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC