Review of KMGs Guitar Binding Channel Routing System

Selection of materials -- wood -- plastic -- routing the channels etc.
Mike W

Review of KMGs Guitar Binding Channel Routing System

Post by Mike W » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Hey all - Just wanted to do a quick review of KMGs Guitar Binding Channel Routing System. I recently bought it and used it this past weekend for the first time. Prior to this, I used StewMac's Precision Router Base and Edge Guide.

Here's what I love about it:

Quality results - Following Ken's instructions, I got perfect channels. When routing the back channels near the neck I found that it took a little extra effort or focus, but the results were great.

Peace of mind - Ken's system is pretty fool proof. As long you've set the depth and height and tested on scrap -- there's really no way to screw things up.

Simplicity - Ken's system is very straightforward. It almost seems too simple. But I think this is one of it's strongest points. Because it's simple I can feel confident and enjoy the process.

Value - I feel like the price is reasonable and workmanship solid.

Edit 9/3/2015 - I had initially included a statement questioning if the foam on the shuttle would wear over time if I was making dozens of guitars per year. Ken assured me that this wouldn't be an issue. That's pretty awesome. This is a great system!
Last edited by Mike W on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ken cierp

Re: Review of KMGs Guitar Binding Channel Routing System

Post by ken cierp » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 am

Thank you for the kind words -- I am a bit puzzled regarding the life expectancy comment of the shuttle we are using the original prototype in our production shop after about 10 years? Whetstone School of Luthier is using their 5 or more year old unit, as are many pros including Preston Thompson.

Mike W

Re: Review of KMGs Guitar Binding Channel Routing System

Post by Mike W » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Yeah. Those shuttles may indeed last a long time. It was more of a question in mind and not critique per se. Thanks for clarifying.