Binding problems solved.

Selection of materials -- wood -- plastic -- routing the channels etc.
rusty999

Binding problems solved.

Post by rusty999 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:55 pm

I have tried all sorts of routing methods in the past for routing binding channels on my guitars and some left a lot to be desired while others were an improvement on the previous methods I had tried. But I finally hit the jackpot when I purchased the KMG Channel routing system and I have used it on 2 guitars already. Its practically foolproof which is what I need at times as I came into guitar building with zero experience of woodworking . All I can say about that is that I'm now better than I was when I started 2 years ago and next year I hope to be even better again. Thats the only thing that keeps me going--knowing that even though I make mistakes from time to time I'm still improving day by day and hopefully next year I will be better than I was this year.
So as I said at the beginning I need tools and jigs that work properly, and anything that make life easier for someone like me, who is still learning at 60 years old is very much appreciated.
Sometimes I look at KMG products and think hey I could probably make one of those, but I know myself that I could never get the accuracy or design correct and secondly I have no experience of cnc technology. And, its the simplicity of some of Kens jigs that is what makes them so user friendly and so accurate.
I know I'm going off thread here but suffice to say I love the Chanell routing system despite the fact that I had to pay an extra 100 bucks in duty to get it into my country but thats no one's fault as thats how our system works here and anyway it was still well worth the money. Perfect edges and a perfect binding chanell in what was probably 5 minutes or less, compared to maybe 5 times that with my last handheld jig.The handheld alternative does work well but you need to be young and fit to use it as theres a lot of bending down and sometimes kneeling down to check your progress, at least that was my experience.
So, happy days !!
Rusty

http://www.cncguitarproducts.com/guitar ... m--v2.html

Dave Bagwill

Re: Binding problems solved.

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:29 pm

Cool, man!! I like your attitude.
-Under permanent construction

rusty999

Re: Binding problems solved.

Post by rusty999 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks Dave , It was actually your own you tube video that finally convinced to give it a go so I should have said thank you for that.
I think the best way to describe it is that I no longer feel nervous about doing the binding.
I'm one of those people who suffer from paralysis by analysis !!
Thanks again
Rusty