Acoustic Guitar Construction in the small shop -- Kenneth Michael Guitars LLC

Information, ideas and help for those constructing scratch built acoustic guitars or acoustic guitar kits - © 2017
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.

Post subject: Tiny bindings
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:11 pm 

Atkins guitar co. does upon occasion use what they call 'tiny bindings' - just cover the endgrain of the top and back plates, none of the rim is routed.

I like the look a lot, but I like other more traditional schemes as well. My concern with the tiny bindings is that there are no purflings, the importance of which I'm getting more convinced. However with prudent thinning of the perimeter of the top perhaps the lack of purflings would not be that important?

What do you think?

Attachments:
smallbindings.jpg
smallbindings.jpg [ 500.84 KiB | Viewed 726 times ]

Post subject: Re: Tiny bindings
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:28 pm 

Sorry Dave, I've no clue what you mean.
Herman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:59 pm 

I thought the purfling mostly decorative. On my guitars they are glued to the portion of the top that are glued to the linings. So I can not see them doing much acoustically. It also seems like you can have the tiny bindings and still cut a channel for purflings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:01 pm 

I was referring to the 'hinge' effect of the purfling, in that it effectively thins the perimeter of the plate and adds to the ability of the plate to move.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:11 pm 

Does your purfling area generally extend past your linings or kerfed linings? I would have thought that the hinge effect would be at the end of the lining. Where the top is glued to the lining I have to imagine that it is pretty fixed in place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:18 pm 

Gads, you're right of course. Congrats, you passed the test!! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:43 pm 

maybe works for a violin, where I believe the purfling line and the re-curve that the purfling is in is out past the lining.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:37 pm 

The fact that top purfling doesn't extend past the lining doesn't mean that there's no "hinge effect." The top is substantially thinner where the purfling is installed. Even if there's full-thickness top fastened to the lining inboard of the purfling, the glue joint there is narrow and won't give as much rigidity to the top as if the full-thickness top extended all the way to the outer binding.

I'd be interested to know if folks who've made many guitars (and I'm still on my first one) have noticed any tonal effect due to the width of the top purfling (e.g., thin purfling vs. an abalone trim around the top).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:11 pm 

Hans Mattes wrote:
The fact that top purfling doesn't extend past the lining doesn't mean that there's no "hinge effect." The top is substantially thinner where the purfling is installed. Even if there's full-thickness top fastened to the lining inboard of the purfling, the glue joint there is narrow and won't give as much rigidity to the top as if the full-thickness top extended all the way to the outer binding.

I'd be interested to know if folks who've made many guitars (and I'm still on my first one) have noticed any tonal effect due to the width of the top purfling (e.g., thin purfling vs. an abalone trim around the top).

I have made them with thin and fat purfling lines and have not noticed any difference. The top is not just sitting on the lining it is glued down. Mechanically I can not see how a filled in purling rebate right above a giant brace (the lining) provides any hinge. There is a huge impedance mismatch between the top and the lining, that reflects the energy back to the top. Thinning the top on the edge (inside of the lining) does increase the impedance mismatch between the lining and the top and can be beneficial. I can not see a thin or fat purfling line doing anything tonally. They are just decorative. While making your fist guitar there will be a bunch of things that you are doing that will make major differences to the sound of the guitar. Selection of purflings is not one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:51 pm 

Quote:
I have made them with thin and fat purfling lines and have not noticed any difference. The top is not just sitting on the lining it is glued down. Mechanically I can not see how a filled in purling rebate right above a giant brace (the lining) provides any hinge. There is a huge impedance mismatch between the top and the lining, that reflects the energy back to the top. Thinning the top on the edge (inside of the lining) does increase the impedance mismatch between the lining and the top and can be beneficial. I can not see a thin or fat purfling line doing anything tonally. They are just decorative. While making your fist guitar there will be a bunch of things that you are doing that will make major differences to the sound of the guitar. Selection of purflings is not one of them.

Ditto all the way

Now I have read where some teachers have reported an improvement in sound quality when class room project guitars which are not bound during the course have bindings added at a later date -- I think I can buy that since to me the bindings do add structural integrity.

http://www.cncguitarproducts.com/
KMG Guitar Kit Information
http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/kitinfopackage.html