Abalone soundhole ring too low!

Selection -- purfling -- finger-board -- head-stock
NeilG495

Abalone soundhole ring too low!

Post by NeilG495 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Just sanded the soundboard and noticed a few abalone segments are low. The soundboard is already on the limit so can’t sand anymore. If I fill with ca or epoxy and then sand level, it will leave the glue areas dull and opaque before spraying- anyone got a solution for this issue?

Tim Benware

Re: Abalone soundhole ring too low!

Post by Tim Benware » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm

With most abalone it is hard NOT to have that happen. I use small sanding sticks and a very sharp 1/8" micro chisel to very carefully scrap the glue those low areas and then I seal it with sanding sealer and flood with thin CA. Let it dry on its own (no accelerator) and add some more sealer over it. It should end up pretty much invisible after you add your finish layers to the guitar and level and polish everything out.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

NeilG495

Post by NeilG495 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:05 pm

Thank you Tim for the info, I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

Herman

Post by Herman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:13 pm

hey Neil,
Either Epoxy or CA glue will do the trick.
Tim's advise to use no accelerator is good, 'cause that can make gas bubbles in the glue. That could remain visable in the end. If you take time to cure before sanding, it all will be almost invisable after finishing.
Good luck
Herman

NeilG495

Post by NeilG495 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks Herman and Tim for the advice. I’ve put some sanding sealer over the abalone today. One thing I’m still not 100% sure about, after I’ve put the ca or epoxy on, do just leave it and spray the finish on or can I sand the glue area then spray? My concern is, if the glue is slightly high and I sand it, it will make it opaque and it might stay that way when the finish is sprayed on. Not sure if I’ve explained it well enough but hope you get my drift.

John Link

Post by John Link » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:53 am

You folks may be interested in Gluboost Gel. It is apparently a new product for filling small gaps, as often come up in rosettes. I just got a blurb in the email about it.

https://gluboost.com/product/mastergel-ultra/
John

Herman

Post by Herman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Neil,
If you spray nitro, it will melt into the epoxy or CA. It will not stay opaque. That way you'll be fine.
Of other finishes I am not sure.
Herman