back/top storage before installation

Sequencing -- clamping schemes -- logic, do's and don'ts
peter havriluk

back/top storage before installation

Post by peter havriluk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:42 pm

After I install the braces and have prepared tops/backs for installation, is there any care I need to provide for storage until they are installed? Each is domed to some extent and can't be stored in a mold. Put them on a shelf and keep them out of harm's way, or should I be doing something to preserve the molded shape? Hate to admit I don't know what needs to be done to keep the parts safe and sound.

Thanks very much.
Peter Havriluk

John Parchem

Re: back/top storage before installation

Post by John Parchem » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 pm

If your shop is humidity controlled, you put them out of harm's way. When I was in my garage I would leave them in my radius dished. The back in my gobar deck clamped to the radius dish my top in my tops radius dish with some weights. In my current process the rims are complete before I brace the top or back.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 pm

John, thanks for the flow comments. My shop is humidity-controlled (in Connecticut). Two dehumidifiers chugging away. Humidity gauge says low-mid 30's, has been that way for 4+ months. I don't have dishes to park the braced tops/backs in; I'm following Ken's kit instructions of assembly without dishes as best I can.

This conversation leads me to something I hadn't considered: Making up some flat hunks of something to clamp the tops/backs to while they're waiting for rims. A mimic of the brace assembly process but the braces are already in place.
Peter Havriluk

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Peter what did you decide to do with your parts?
Sometimes I just bring them into my house in the winter as my shop is not heated nor humidity controlled. That seems to work pretty well.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:43 pm

Kevin, I brought the lumber into the basement workshop, which has been sitting since the warm weather started at 35 percent rh, more or less. I'm satisfied with that. Dehumidifiers ran a lot, but the basement has been comfortable. I'm taking the advice to build rims first, then build up tops/backs and install them as soon as they're made up.
Peter Havriluk