back & top trimming to size for assembly

Sequencing -- clamping schemes -- logic, do's and don'ts
peter havriluk

back & top trimming to size for assembly

Post by peter havriluk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm preparing three backs and tops for their bracing. I'm at a point of running the blanks through the bandsaw and cutting away the excess. So... I originally marked the pieces by tracing around my template with a pencil in a small fender washer, giving me an overhang of three eighths of an inch past the template . I can cut to that line and not feel like I'm causing a problem. I've also penciled in the template outline on the plates, which gives a flat-plate footprint of what will be a domed back and a slightly-domed top. After I install the bracing, how much more trimming of the overhang is safe to do? Leave an eighth of an inch past the inner pencil line for the top, and a quarter-inch, for the sake of discussion, on the backs? Up to the inner pencil line on both? Do the closer trimming before installing the bracing?

Thanks, folks.
Peter Havriluk

John Parchem

Re: back & top trimming to size for assembly

Post by John Parchem » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:50 pm

The 3/8" sounds good to me all the way through preparing for glue up. Right before fitting the braces into the linings and glueing on a back or top I trim the top of the upper bout to template line so that I can more easily place the top and back in the correct position. Especially the top as my measurements relative to the body join (bridge plate, sound hole, braces ... ) are indexed to the template line at the top of the guitar.

peter havriluk

Re: back & top trimming to size for assembly

Post by peter havriluk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:41 pm

John, thanks for answering. Sounds reasonable to me. I wanted to be sure I didn't over-trim when I should not and leave a plate too small, after all that. I also didn't want to be working past something too oversize to accurately place. Much obliged.
Peter Havriluk